So I haven’t written a post in a while. This is not what I had planned; however, the site was not performing the way I wanted.
Load times were terrible from my perspective. raymondbruce.com was taking between 7-10 seconds to load, which was just unacceptable. You spend day and night working on your website, only to see it fall apart when launched. At first, I ignored the load times, but over time, the load times just became frustrating. One thing leads to another, and I started looking into the cause of the slow load times.
revealed more problems. I compared my site load times to sites I visit often. This revealed just how slow my site was performing. So I built test sites, checking load times and plugin conflicts as I went along.
- Theme A, by itself good.
- Theme A + plugin A not so good.
- Compromise, uninstall plugins and take functionality from my site. Also not an option.
I went with option 3, I have rebuilt the site from the ground up. Under a subdirectory structure to give me the site structure I want. This won’t give the seamless experience I wanted to offer, but it will do for now. Load times are now 2 seconds or less, which I can live with. Over time, I will try to get it down to 1 second or less.
Part of the problem causing the slow load times was the initial response time of my site. Which, I believe, meant once my site had been reached, it took 2-3 seconds to respond and load my site. Hence the reasoning behind Option 1.
Rebuilding my site I also optimised it for a mobile experience and tweaked the design of the site as I went along. I will build more functionality into the site over time. I plan to try and post at least once a week.
Until then, I am Raymond Bruce, and I have spoken!